Hey guys! So I’m currently in the dawn of my freshman finals month, and I’m sure many of you are too. Ever wondered how to study for finals effectively and get those A’s? Well you’re in luck! I have some guaranteed tips to make studying for finals fun and thorough.
1. Have a clean and organized desk space: you don’t want to study in a messy, disorganized area. It will make you give up before you’ve even started.
2. Make flashcards: you can do this online on Quizlet, or make them by hand. Either way works, but I suggest this method for testing yourself (especially with artsy subjects like english, history, art, etc.) Tip- using colors is always a good idea, it will stimulate your brain!
3. Eat snacks: always one of my favourites! Eating healthy snacks like fruits, nuts, or even smoothies, will help you feel full, nourished, and rewarded while studying. You’ll end up getting more accomplished in the long run if your stomach is satisfied.
4. Teach a pretend audience: this is something that has really been working for me this term. Make sure you’re standing when you teach, and I recommend teaching your bed pretending there’s an audience. Keep your notebook open but away from you, in case you need a reference. Tip- try taping blank sheets of paper on the wall or wardrobe (especially if you’re in a dorm room) and use a sharpie to write down key information while you teach!
5. Keep a schedule/planner: I always use a planner, but this year I started using a bullet journal which is working really well. Using some kind of device to keep your organized will really help keep you on track during finals. You’ll be sure to study everything and not miss any study time.
6. Relax and breath: make sure you always take breaks, even for 10 minutes. Taking breaks allows your mind to refocus and refreshes you from the feeling of being tired and worn out. You can go on social media, watch a YouTube video, blog, paint your nails, go for a walk, drink some water or tea, or do some yoga! Do something fun, but remember to continue studying. I use the app ‘Pomodoro’ from the iPhone app store. You can set up your study time with scheduled breaks all to your liking! Tip- try one hour of studying with a five minute break and a half hour break after each second hour. And don’t forget to breathe. You need it!
I hope those tips will help you succeed this finals season. You can do it, believe in yourself and you’ll succeed! Don’t forget to follow me for the latest. xo